Sunday, February 13, 2011

my perfect valentine

There's a lot of different stories behind st Valentine's day, some say Valentine was a priest who helped young soldiers to get married when the law did not permit them, some say he just helped christian prisoners escape from prison and some say he fell inlove while in prison with a jailer's daughter and just before his death sent her a note signed : with love your Valentine...

Well, whatever the real story is behind valentine's day, I, like many other girls (and some boys) I know, am a sucker for valentine's day!!! It's like a huge thing for me...I even have my very own fantasy valentine's day:

I wake up to a call from my secret valentine saying he just wanted to wish me a great day and I'm thinking,"do I know you?"...but I don't tell him this, instead I wish him a good day too.
Then I wash and go to work, at around 10am I get a call from the receptionist telling me that there's a delivery for me and I go to find that my valentine (whose identity I still don't know), has left me a single red rose and a note saying: can't wait to see u @ lunch, with love - your valentine... And embarassd I take the flower and the note and walk back up to my desk feeling really happy and trying not to show it. At 12h45pm I get another call from reception saying I have a visitor and wait till 1pm to walk down because it's almost lunch, when I get there my valentine , who I now recognise as the man of my dreams is waiting there with another rose in his hand and tells me, "I'm here to take you to lunch, I hope you brought your appetite with you"...and he takes my hand and leads me to his car. I get in, not caring that it is old and beaten up because all that matters is finally this guy had the guts to make a move. And so I sit back and he drives us to the park @ the waterfront and takes a picnic basket out of his boot filled with little delicasies and a bottle of sparkling grape juice...he holds my hand and we sit on the grass and talk and laugh... At 1h45pm he drives me back to work and tells me, "see you later, valentine".
So I spend the rest of the afternoon in anticipation of what lies ahead. Later on, after work I get to my place and I find that he has left a note, a package and a rose in my mailbox at my place, that says, "relax and enjoy what's left of your valentine's...love:your valentine"...and I get to my flat and quickly open the package to find rose petals and different sorts of little bath salts and soaps in the package...happily I run some water in the bath, pour all these in and spend what's left of my valentine's day relaxing and thinking about my valentine. A little later, just after I have closed my book and just before I switch off the light to sleep, he calls - my valentine - and says, "thank you for making my day special, good night valentine!!!"
...And I tell him the same and then doze off to dreamland and dream about: my perfect valentine's!!!

Okay, I admit that this is a bit over-the-top and totally far-fetched!!! I mean, what if I'm not at the office all day at valentine's,and what if the juice spills on my white shirt - my day would be totally ruined!!! and what if my skin starts reacting to the bath salts, and I sneeze everytime I get a rose - and what if mr Valentine is not even who I want him to be...then my valentine's would just be a nightmare, right!!!
The dream itself is a cliche' I know, but then again, valentine's day is a cliche'. It's the only day I allow myself to even think that life can be perfect, it's just a day to make those you love feel special in your own little way. And it's one of the few "commercial holidays" that I truly appreciate.
And the good thing is, I don't have to bury my head in the sand and pretend tomorrow is not valentine's day just because I don't have anyone special in my life, because I'm sure I have people that secretly and openly admire me out there and if they don't send me a rose or two, I can and will definitely make somebody whom I admire smile tomorrow,and that will be enough to make my day special.

Happy valentine's day to all...may your valentine's touch your hearts and may you be a great valentine to someone else!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment